The City of Brownsville Public Health Department has revised the minimum guidelines for obtaining a Health food permit to operate a mobile food unit within the City of Brownsville. The guidelines were categorized by type of vendors.
This category is for mobile food vendors that operate and sell hot foods at the 77 Flea Market only. Vendors that have only one unit and work only at the 77 Flea Market fall under this category. Vendors with more than one unit fall under category I.
The following are the revised minimum guidelines for this category.
- All mobile food vendors operating and selling at the Flea Market are limited to sell the following fast food items only;
- The mobile food unit shall be fully self contained with adequate equipment to service the above food items. Equipment such as hot and cold running water, a clean water retention tank 15 gallons or larger made out of plastic or stainless steel, with an access port for inspection and cleaning, the opening shall be on top of the tank and
- Flanged upward at least 13 millimeters (one-half inch); and
- Equipped with a port cover assembly that is provided with a gasket and a device for securing the cover in place, and flanged to overlap the opening and sloped to drain.
A waste retention tank that is 15% larger than the clean water tank.
A water heater that is 5 gallons or larger.
Refrigeration, hot holding equipment (steam tables, crock pts, warmer, etc.), working and sloped to drain.
All outer openings are properly protected against the entry of insects and rodents by;
- filling or closing holes, and other gaps along floors, walls and ceilings,
- Closed, tight fitting windows; and window screens (16 mesh) and
- Self-closing, tight fitting doors.
3. All food shall be served on single service articles only.
4. Adequate number of trash receptacles with lids shall be provided
5. A physical address for servicing the mobile food unit after working hours shall be furnished to our department (base of operation). This address shall be inside the City of Brownsville. No business or operation shall be conducted at this address. Failure to comply may result in a citation and revocation of the Health food permit. Any storage facility operation shall be partitioned off form the residence. The mobile food unit shall remain at the bade of operation, while not in operation (inside property).
6. Mobile unit will not be approved on any apartment complex. base of operation will only be allowed on a residence or commercial storage.
7.Mobile food units shall be equipped with safety devices, front flashing warning lights in amber, reflective safety signs, side and rear view mirrors and back up beepers. Flashing warning lights shall be on while operation, at all times, The Public Health Department must be notified if there is a change of base of operation. If the base of operation is changed there will be a fee of 50.00 for a non-scheduled inspection and a fee of 25.00 for a permit replacement.
8. Valid Texas driver's license current Texas vehicle liability insurance, current Texas license plates (no dealer's plates), and current state inspection sticker.
9. The mobile food unit shall have proper identification, such as name of business address and Health Department permit number.
10. All food products including beverages shall be obtain from approved sources (save all receipts)
11. The exterior and interior of mobile food unit shall be in good construction.
12. All food service operations shall be conducted at the 77 Flea Market only.
13. Hair nets shall be provided for all food handlers.
14. All food handlers shall provide for all food handlers.
15. The City Health permit shall be displayed/posed on conspicuous place.
16. A mobile food establishment servicing area shall b e provided and shall include at least over head protection for any supplying, cleaning, or servicing of sewage other liquid waste, through the use of closed system of hoses, need to be provided with over head protection.
17. All owners/operators of food mobile units shall provide liquid waste hauler invoice/contract upon request.
18. Electrical and water hookups shall be provided at base of operation.
19. All employees & staff must wear appropriate clothing during hours of operation inside the mobile unit (jeans or other pants should be worn, shorts will not allowed do to hygienic practices, and no muscle shirts or sleeveless blouses, appropriate caps and or hair restraint must be worn at all times.(No open toe shoes or sandals allowed.) (Safety)